Military Discounts | Online Degrees

Welcome to the MilitarySpot.com Forums!

The forums below are for discussing issues for our soldiers in the military and related topics. From the day to day life of a soldier to spouses and family back home and everything in between. Jump right in and introduce yourself and chat with other soldiers, family and other people with military affiliations.

Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW DRONE MEDAL
 Login/Join

Brigadier General

Picture of STICK
Yahoo IM
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I have good info from a reliable source..after saying the new MEDALS for DRONE OPERATORS would out rank the current medal there was a compromise..here is a copy of the new "medal for drone pilots ...

I'M FINE,THE REST OF YOU NEED COUNSELING
Command Sergeant Major

posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I see you are like one of the twelve spies who were sent to spy .....But good info stick.
"Curmudgeon
Vietnam Vet Still Kicking
"
General

Picture of HarryP
Oh, I thought that is was for conspicuous uselessness in the face of an overwhelming need for productivity.

If it weren't for the United States Military,
There'd be NO United States of America!

Steven Ellison, MD
A MILITARY DOCTOR

Only two defining forces have ever offered to
die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
"Curmudgeon
"
General

Picture of HarryP
http://www.armytimes.com/news/...icule-merit-022013w/

I do not agree.

Steven Ellison, MD
A MILITARY DOCTOR

die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
General

Picture of thegunny
Agree or not, its a DOD directive now and it would take a Congressional act to do anything about it if even then.

SEMPER FI
The Gunny

Dear Lord
So far today, God, I've done alright
I haven't gossiped
I haven't lost my temper
I haven't been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or even over-indulgent.
I'm really glad about that.

But in the next few minutes, God,
I'm going to get out of bed,
AND from then on, I'm probably going to need a lot of your help.

AMEN.....

"I don't have a problem with God, it's his Fan Club I can't stand".

(my mind has chewed though the leash again and is on the loose!)
"Curmudgeon
"
General

Picture of HarryP
The ranking bothers me more than anything and, since it is an 'officer' award, I can see what happened.

Steven Ellison, MD
A MILITARY DOCTOR

die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
General

Picture of thegunny
Agreed. I can see why this is really pissing off alot of folks.

SEMPER FI
The Gunny

Dear Lord
I haven't gossiped
I haven't lost my temper

AMEN.....

General

So, while real soldiers on a real battlefield are wondering if they will see their kids, family etc, General Couch Sloth is putting notches on his Starbucks Cone Cup, while raking in the Drone Lord Awards.
"Curmudgeon
"
General

Picture of HarryP
I can see them getting some recognition for their work because they do contribute to the effort of killing the bad guys I just disagree with the ranking of the award.

Steven Ellison, MD
A MILITARY DOCTOR

die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
General

I don't think they deserve MEDALS, but if some feel that is worthy then perhaps military orbital satellites should be promoted full Generals.
"Curmudgeon
"
General

Picture of HarryP
They do make a contribution.

Steven Ellison, MD
A MILITARY DOCTOR

die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
General

quote:
Originally posted by HarryP:
They do make a contribution.

Who is/are they HarryP? Got a list of Drone Heros you are holding back from us or something?
Brigadier General

Picture of STICK
Yahoo IM
WASHINGTON -- Critics have dubbed it “the Nintendo medal” and “the Purple Buttocks.” Veterans groups are lobbying the White House against it. Lawmakers are working to downgrade it.

Pentagon officials, ignoring the criticism, are moving ahead with the new Distinguished Warfare Medal, designed to honor “extraordinary actions” of drone pilots and other off-site troops performing noteworthy deeds on far-away battlefields.

It’s months away from being awarded. The military has to mint the new awards, establish guidelines for processing nominations and find heroic operators to receive the honor.

That gives detractors time to wage their own war against the “distant warfare medal,” inside top military offices and from remote locations outside the Pentagon.

It will be a tough fight.

“This Pentagon, they’ve been immovable on fixes and mistakes in the awards system,” said Doug Sterner, military medals expert and archivist for the Hall of Valor awards database. “They’re closed-minded when it comes to outside criticism. They’re going to do what they’re going to do.”

Since the award was announced last month, veterans advocates have taken aim not at the creation of a new medal but at its placement in the order of precedence. Military planners have said the medal will rank immediately below the Distinguished Flying Cross – higher than the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, awards given for direct battlefield heroism.

American Legion National Commander James Koutz told his membership last week that a new honor for servicemembers serving safely from afar “should not outrank awards for troops’ serving in harm’s way.”

Officials from the Veterans of Foreign Wars broached the issue in their meeting with President Barack Obama this week, eliciting a promise from the commander-in-chief that he would review the issue.

And organizers at VoteVets.org have collected more than 5,000 responses to the medal -- most complaining about its position above the Bronze Star -- that they intend to share with new Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, a former enlisted soldier and a Purple Heart recipient.

“We think, with his background, he’ll want to take a look at this,” said Jon Solz, chairman of the group. “We’ve been his biggest supporters, and we’re bringing him what veterans are thinking about the issue right now.

We hope he’ll listen.”

A trio of Republican veterans in Congress -- California’s Duncan Hunter, Florida’s Tom Rooney and Pennsylvania’s Tim Murphy -- have *introduced legislation to lower the new medal in the order of precedence, a move military officials say is overstepping lawmakers’ traditional roles.*

*A companion bill is under discussion in the Senate, and the provision is expected to be part of the annual defense authorization act.*

That’s key because the authorization bill is one of the few pieces of legislation to pass through Congress every year, regardless of the partisan gridlock. Lawmakers will likely finalize that measure in November or December, possibly before any of the new defense warfare medals are awarded.

Hunter has been a vocal critic of the military medals system in recent years, particularly the low number of medals of honor and other high-ranking valor awards.

Military medals officials have countered that better equipment, better weaponry and the changing nature of warfare have made those close-combat honors harder to earn. The new medal fits with that narrative -- today’s war heroes are fighting farther and farther from the front lines and can’t be honored in the same ways as in the past.

Sterner disagrees.

*He said existing awards like the Legion of Merit, awarded by the military for “exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services,” could be used for non-traditional combat roles without harming the value of battlefield honors.* The decision to establish a new medal shows a disconnect -- and stubbornness -- among Pentagon bureaucrats.

Pentagon spokesman Lt.Cmdr. Nate Christensen said despite the uproar *since the medal announcement, “there are no plans to change the medal right now.”*

General

Picture of thegunny
I have to agree with Harry. These guy's runnning the drones are a contributing factor in killing identified targets. They may not be laying out in the bush pulling the trigger, but they are pulling the trigger. That deserves recognition.

It shouldn't rate higher than the Purple Heart or Bronze star though in my mind.

SEMPER FI
The Gunny

Dear Lord
I haven't gossiped
I haven't lost my temper

AMEN.....

General

I am pretty sure those who provide the INTEL on the whereabouts of Joe Taliban are thrilled that " Private Million Miles Away " gets a nifty award all thanks to a risk taker on the ground. Like the man who provided the DNA sample of Osama's fort. I hear he is currently in metal box being fed from time to time.
General

Picture of thegunny
Pretty sure these risk takers you are referring to on the ground providing the intel are recognized for their part in all of this. Its not a one man show in taking out these insurgents when the opportunity presents itself. Can't see a risk taker on the ground lugging around a guided missle just waiting for opportunity to drive by. Not very efficient. Those drones are loitering and waiting to be used at the right time and target. Give recognition where it is due as that entire operation is a team effort from those on the ground over there to those back here calling the shot and doing it. Frankly I don't care how or what they have to do to kill those SOB's, whether its a bullet, missle or run them down with a tank as long as they get dead. Let allah sort out the pieces of whats left of them.

SEMPER FI
The Gunny

Dear Lord
I haven't gossiped
I haven't lost my temper

AMEN.....

General

I am with you on everything, just tossing up hypothetical's for debate. The more one thinks of it, the sillier it will eventually get considering the massive variety of future drone concepts coming down the line. Wink
Brigadier General

Picture of STICK
Yahoo IM
The Pentagon’s newest military honor, symbolized by a two-inch bronze medallion, has sparked fierce debate over the nation’s growing corps of drone pilots and cyberwarriors and how to commend their service, which happens far from an actual battlefield.

The Distinguished Warfare Medal, approved by Defense Secretary Leon Panetta last month, is the military’s first new combat-related medal in nearly 70 years. It is intended to recognize extraordinary contributions to combat operations by a service member from afar and will rank as the eighth highest individual award behind the Medal of Honor.

But placement of the new medal in ahead of the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, which are given for valor in the line of fire, has created significant stir.

Critics have panned it as the “Chair-borne Medal,” “the Nintendo Medal,” “Distant Warfare Medal” and “the Purple Buttocks,” alluding to fact that computer-based warriors do their work from a chair, among other names.

Top veterans groups and a rare bipartisan alliance on Capitol Hill are intensely lobbying the Pentagon and President Obama to downgrade the award.

“We are supportive of recognizing and rewarding such extraordinary service, but in the absence of the service member exposing him or herself to imminent mortal danger, we cannot support the DWM taking precedence above the Bronze Star and Purple Heart,” a bipartisan group of 48 lawmakers wrote new Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel on Monday.

“Possibility of death or grievous bodily harm” are key factors that should elevate recipients of those awards above others who didn’t face those risks, the group wrote.

The letter was penned by 34 Republicans and 14 Democrats, including Republican Reps. Joe Wilson of South Carolina and Darrell Isa of California and Democratic Reps. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois and Susan Davis of California.

Officials with the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars said they have already been pressing the administration to downgrade the award, saying that bestowing a higher-ranked medal to service members who fought from “behind a desk” is disrespectful to those serving in harm’s way.

So far the administration has shown no sign of backing down.

Last month, in one of his final public events before retiring, Secretary Panetta hailed creation of the new medal as a reflection of an evolution in modern warfare and of the growing importance of the drones and cyberwarfare strategies.

“The medal provides distinct, department-wide recognition for the extraordinary achievements that directly impact on combat operations, but that do not involve acts of valor or physical risk that combat entails,” Panetta said.

“I’ve always felt — having seen the great work that they do, day in and day out — that those who performed in an outstanding manner should be recognized,” he said. “Unfortunately, medals that they otherwise might be eligible for simply did not recognize that kind of contribution.”

A White House official declined to comment on the criticism. Obama, who has significantly increased drone warfare during his administration, on Tuesday awarded two purple hearts to wounded service members at Walter Reed military medical center in Washington.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: STICK,

"Curmudgeon
"
General

Picture of HarryP
http://www.homeofheroes.com/medals/1_precedence.html

This old list points out that there are some high awards to Distinguished or Meritorious service. This is nothing new.

Steven Ellison, MD
A MILITARY DOCTOR

die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
"Curmudgeon
"
General

Picture of HarryP
http://vfw.org/News-and-Events...R-NEW-MEDAL-RANKING/

The VFW.

Steven Ellison, MD
A MILITARY DOCTOR

die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.